Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's interesting how I've been losing my double chin because

I haven't been eating as healthy as I could, but I just had a pizza phase for 2 days.  I wasn't a health nut last night, but it wasn't pizza.

I think it's the gym that helped me.  I got excited at the music last time.

Click on "Classes" and "Enrollment Division:" http://orlandoballetschool.org

I guess it's important to start ballet before you're 5.  It might robotize you, but I'd do it.  I started at 5, and I couldn't focus.  I did gymnastics, but we didn't do dance forms that early.  I actually stayed in it until I turned 9.  I started gymnastics at 1 3|4.  I was attune to the physicality I was introduced to in ballet, but I couldn't do it.  I did better after quitting gymnastics and starting piano for awhile, when there was no ballet where we moved.  I even quit gymnastics just to have an open schedule.  Too bad I was too worried about being half Chinese to wonder about carpooling.

When we moved when I was 7, the ballet school wasn't like serious.  It was more artsy but not like in the same way as multi-dimensional.  I guess it was because at first I was fortunate to find a French teacher.  She moved to Georgia and taught college, when we moved, too.  So, I asked my mom to take me out and find a new place.  I don't know that she found one but asked if I wanted to just take more gymnastics.  I was also in baton, so I had a lot of long marching in the hot sun, in mid-Southeastern Florida, along the coast.  So, I said yes to more gymnastics but never had the guts to be on a team.  It seemed plausible.  I just knew that then I would be less multi-talented, though that thought never came to surface.  So, we moved again, from where I lived at 9-turning 12.  I took ballet, by choice, at the first place we went to, a modern dance studio, but I was upset when I found it was only once a week.  They recommended I wait and start later, since it was the middle of the year and they just started the recital.  They let me in and I was in the recital.  After 2 1|2 years, ... oh yea, it was gentle ... I moved to a private ballet studio.  I was with some enthusiastic girls 3-4 years younger.  I was there from age 15-17.  When I was 16, I tried just doing the adult class, and at 17 I took Thursday off to do gymnastics and Saturday off to go to arts school for classical music as a pianist.  After that, I would have switched to the big dance school.  Someone from there told me at 16 that where I went was better and that she couldn't dance, though she went there 6 days a week.  When I went there, they said you could go anywhere from 1-6 days a week and that The Nutcracker is about if the costume fits.  So, I came back, and it seemed like a serious place, just for ages up to 18|high school.  So, I went to summer camp at my old school.  I was too old for theater, then, too, in the summer, when the kids put on a musical.  During the year, they didn't always do much, if anything.  I went to the activities my first year of high school.

Looking back, the ballet school I went to seemed like it gave you a lot of chance, but I'll admit it's not quite as hard|strict.

So, yes, ballet is a workout that made me sweat all over, particularly at the class I went to for teens.  It was probably hard when I began the kids's class.  I also tried jazz, lyrical, tap, and modern.  The new school I want to go to doesn't have as much of extra classes but has them, probably not tap and lyrical.  So, I lost a lot of weight that year but took off to catch up on rest and see if I could get taller.  It's been 5 years, and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment